Saturday 8 December 2012

Leaving Some Headroom

Celebration and recognition are important in all sorts of ways. Whether it is a birthday, a special occasion or a team or company that does something extraordinary, there should always be a way to mark an occasion. But how far do you go and how quickly?

I am just back from a trip to buy Christmas cards for close family and friends. Most of them still live in England and the cards are in English too. Living in Belgium somewhat restricts choice but there are a few outlets. Today was the day I chose to be brave and venture forth.

I have been struck by the language of celebration this year. Everyone who might be sent a card has been elevated to the position of being close to god-like. My brother is "fantastic". My sisters are "brilliant and wonderful". My mother and father-in-law are "perfect" and my wife and children are, well I guess you get the picture.

That's only on the outside of the cards on offer because, once you venture inside, they are lauded even more highly - all the things they are; all the things they do and all the joy they bring to those around them throughout the year. When my grandmother wanted to burst my bubble, she used to say I was just too clever for this world. With such mutual admiration going on, she would be very busy popping egos were she still alive.

Understand, I do love my family but all that stuff simply does not ring true. Like everyone else, we can drive each other to distraction. We need a little less hyperbole and a little more sincerity.

That got me thinking about how in our professional lives we are also maybe going too far and too fast in creating and rewarding heroes (and I suppose) villains. Overnight success is often very hard won and should perhaps be lauded not for its apparent sudden notoriety but for the energy and perseverance that it so often takes.

Twitter was close to ten years in the making and it took four generations for the iPod to become an overnight sensation. Success needs many ingredients but stamina does so often seem to needed to be combined with good timing. Even in these tough times - Try often. Fail sometimes. Learn always. Never give up.

With all this in mind, I am going to brave another shop and see if I can find cards that are more to my liking. Then , probably have to make my own that are closer to what I really want to say. Thank you for being you. I care about you. Enjoy Christmas and I wish you all good things for the year to come.

Now there's an idea - even a new business venture perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment