Thursday 16 May 2013

Hakuna Matata - Tantric Interview Techniques

A few weeks ago, I read something about the fact that too much experience gets in the way of successful innovation. It was on the HBR Blog Network, written by the CEO of a "managed innovation company" (my words) and flagged by the owner of a boutique firm advising on strategy. I guess they both have some interest in this proposition being true.

Strange to think that they are both offering their wealth of experience to avoid you being weighed down by your own! All experience is equal but some experience is clearly more equal. That's what self-help is all about, after all. And it's a hundred and fifty years old. Snake-oil anyone?

The HBR article talks about the curse of knowledge and the situation where some variant of pattern recognition causes us to make assumptions that are simply wrong. Sound familiar? The technical term is cognitive bias. All organisations and people have cognitive bias and there are many ways around to try to assist us in thinking out of the box, but in a structured way. Why is so much of management speak "oxy-moronic"?

You may well ask why I am coming back to this idea. It's part of my own self-help regime and I wanted to share it. I am at a stage in my career where I might easily fall victim to excessive cognitive bias - ECB - (being a know-it-all or inadvertently positioning as a know-it-all). So, this post offers some gratuitous (see definition 2) advice on how to avoid the pitfall.

I had a conversation today about a CEO position. Just an early exploration. Just a friendly exchange. Would it be interesting? Small company, so would I be able to "re-size"? Could there be a cultural fit? Is the industry interesting for me? Is relocation an issue? You can guess the format. It was not a cold call. We had set up a time.

Thankfully, the call turned out fine - we will explore further and the role is very interesting - but looking back, I feel my interviewer had to make unnecessary allowances. In short, I was trying to close a sale and the potential customer was just browsing the aisles. This customer was even kind enough to make their intentions clear from the outset. I didn't listen carefully enough. I did not pick up the signs well enough.

It's always a temptation to want to take control in these situations, seeming to know intuitively what needs to be said, in what tone and at what point. Our ECB sends twice as many signals to our mouth than it does to our ears. And that is precisely the wrong ratio. Evolution/God (delete as appropriate) gave us one mouth and two ears, maybe to be deployed with that same balance!

I am sharing this now because it was not intuitive. If it's not intuitive for you either, learn from my error.

I felt very wise when posting my views on dealing with recruiters in February, somehow pushing the idea that you always have to take the initiative and create the momentum. The reality turns out to be that this is perhaps not always appropriate, or even necessary.

As in all things tantric, getting to the end takes time. Be calm. No worries. Let it build.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading this and your post on coming second. So true that you have to let it build and the situations that seem obvious are often the ones where you have to be most patient.
    Reminds me of a conversation with a friend recently who is a regular Everest climber who explained how you die by going directly to the top however obvious it seems...you have to go up and down several times to various camps...listen to the mountain and the weather and then carefully summit and leave....no room for assumptions and bias....unless you happen to be a Sherpa of course.

    Fully expect a big announcement from you soon...in the meantime I shall watch it build. Enjoy the speeddating for now though..

    Peter McShane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with sherpas - too much experience to see the possibility of applying that helicopter innovation.....

      Alan

      Delete
  2. Well said Alan! It’s always good to listen but I feel it is equally important to speak up (not necessarily quantity, but definitely quality) I have seen so many people being extra modest and passive in interviews and losing it. Especially today when the job market is tight, competition is tough and you have about an hour to pitch years of experience & showcase your talent. I'm not saying being cocky always helps but it might do more good than harm - of course it all depends on situations and there are no hard rules. But at the end of the day, it is all about mind reading the recruiter and giving him what he wants. Exactly like in business - you need to sell what the customer wants! This might be more true when you are young and have limited experience, I imagine for C - level positions you need to exhibit a sound, calm head on your shoulders. One thing is sure whatever your strategy is you have to be at your best on the D-day because you won't be getting a second chance!

    ReplyDelete